The Hamlet of Benson, has a population of around 90 people. Benson lies between the town of Stoughton to the north (), the City of Estevan to the south (), the Town of Lampman to the east () and the Town of Midale to the west (). The Hamlet of Benson is the only centre within the limits of the Rural Municipality (R.M.) of Benson #35 and is comprised of nine townships or 324 square miles. Currently Benson has a post office, curling rink, town hall and the Benson #35 RM office.
The R.M. of Benson is fortunate that there are, within a 75-mile radius, three regional parks – Mainprize, Woodlawn, and Roche Percee as well as Moose Mountain Provincial Park, so outdoor recreational and camping facilities are readily available.
Agriculture is the primary use of the land within the R.M. and forms the mainstay of the economy. The area that is farmed is approximately 195,673 acres. The R.M. is also located within the southeastern Saskatchewan oil production zone. There are over 300 wells located in twelve fields. There is also a construction company and a grain cleaning operation situated within the Hamlet of Benson. Other business within the R.M. include a meat processing plant, oil field service companies, water haulers, greenhouse operation, and a pipe inspection plant.
The first homesteaders in the area now known as the R.M. of Benson #35 were Malcolm McKay and Herbert R. Sawford in 1893. The majority of the homestead claims were filed between 1899 and 1902. Two thirds of the homesteaders were immigrants from places such as Great Britain, United States and Europe thereby creating a rich and diverse cultural base for the community.
The R.M. was established on December 13, 1909. The first organizational meeting of the R.M. was held on December 20, 1909 at the home of John Honan. In 1911 the R.M. joined the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities. In 1923 a motion was passed to build an R.M. office and the sign was installed on the front of the new building in November of the same year. This building served the municipality for 58 years until a new office was built in 1981.
- Curling Rink: top-of-the-line recreation facility with two-sheet curling rink. This facility can accommodate up to 200 people and is used for many social events including dances, meetings, weddings, anniversaries and plays. The facility has a stage, public address and sound system, a fully equipped kitchen and a serving area.
- Playground: Situated in the centre of the Hamlet is a well-equipped playground and outdoor skating rink, which includes a change area, safety helmets, hockey equipment and nets
- Summertime activities include junior and rookie ball, slo-pitch and camping at the parks that are located in the area.