Estevan Fire Rescue dealt with a few calls over the weekend which saw a few false alarms including a repeat case.
The week started on Monday, January 15 at around 11:40 a.m. as a crew was dispatched to a report of a car fire in the parking lot of a business in the central part of the city. Incident command responded and investigated with no fire found to be occurring and no signs of any damaged vehicle. Incident command terminated the call and returned to the station.
Later that day around 6:20 p.m. another crew was dispatched to commercial fire alarms at a property on the west side of the city. Crews responded and determined that the sprinkler system had been activated. They assisted property maintenance with shutting and inspecting the sprinkler system, determining that the sprinkler system initiation was due to a problem in the system and not due to fire. Property maintenance will further investigate and repair.
The next day on January 16 close to 9:45 p.m. a residential carbon monoxide alarm had a crew dispatched to the Northwest side of the city. Crews responded and investigated with no carbon monoxide readings noted. Crews determined the cause to be a faulty detector.
At around 8:30 p.m. on January 17 a crew was dispatched to a commercial fire alarm in the central part of the city. Crews responded and investigated, finding no emergency occurring. A fault was found with the alarm system, with the crew resetting the system before returning to the station.
They were back in the same building on January 18 at around 12:05 a.m. for another commercial fire alarm. Crews responded and investigated, again finding no emergency occurring. After determining the alarm was again due to a fault in the system the alarm was silenced and building management advised to have a contractor inspect and repair it.
Later that day at 8:15 p.m. a crew was dispatched to a report of arcing in powerlines on the south side of the city. Crews responded and confirmed no powerlines were down in the area with no signs of fire. Crews stood by on the scene until SaskPower arrived. Once it was confirmed all ok, the scene was handed over to be further investigated by SaskPower crews.