Spring is almost here, and that means that the mild temperatures that are associated with the season will continue to melt the snow packs. This could have an adverse effect on homeowners, especially with the above normal runoff forecasted for the southeast.
"We're encouraging homeowners to take immediate action to prevent unnecessary water damage to their property," said SGI Canada Media Relations Manager Tyler McMurchy.
He shared a few tips that you should follow, especially if you live in an area where flooding is likely:
- Shovel any snow that you have away from your foundation. You want to have at least six feet of clearance if possible.
- Ensure that your yard is graded so that the surface water flows away from the house.
- Make sure that your sump pump is working properly. Malfunctions can result in massive water damage.
- Direct downspouts away from the foundation. Again, you want to have them extend at least six feet away.
- Keep those gutters free of debris, snow and ice.
- Check that the storm sewer grates in your neighborhood are clear of debris.
Last year approximately 60 percent of SGI Canada's claims were related to water damage.
You can find more tips to ensure that your home stays dry on SGI Canada's website.