There is a trend that has come to the attention of the Estevan Fire Department. One that they want to stop. Fire Chief, Dale Feser, explained that he has noticed a reluctance in people wanting to phone 911 when an emergency occurs, especially relating to carbon monoxide emergencies.
"We've received several phone calls after hours to the Fire Station itself, and of course the Fire Station is not manned 24/7. In the event that you are having any carbon monoxide issues whatsoever, please, please, please phone 911."
He adds that it is very important that you do this.
"If it turns out to just be a faulty detection, at least you have the peace of mind knowing that the firefighters have shown up and done an assessment on the house and the heating appliances to make sure that you are indeed, safe."
He shared a few things to keep in mind should your carbon monoxide alarm start beeping.
"The first thing you're going to want to do is take a look and analyse the alarm. Typically, on the back of the alarm there's going to be a beep sequence that will indicate whether it's a dead battery or whatever the case may be. But when in doubt, you want to make sure everyone is going to be safely evacuated from the building into fresh air. And make sure you call 911 and we'll come in and we'll do our job and make sure everything is safe for the occupants to go back into."