The Estevan Fire Department was called to a residence in the south-central portion of the city Monday to deal with a call about a possible gas leak. According to Fire chief Dale Feser they did not find any hazardous gases in the building.
"Fire Department crews did make entry into the building with gas detection equipment and did not find carbon monoxide or any other explosive compounds or natural gas leaks occurring within the building. However, we did pick up a methane or sewer gas smell that was occurring in the structure. We compiled a 360-degree exterior analysis of the building and found that four of the plumbing stacks were completely iced over resulting in the gas smell entering back into the home. Crews did ladder the building and cleared all the plumbing vent stacks and safely returned to the ground and the smell has now dissipated in the apartments."
Dale goes on to mention that it's always a good idea to clear vents and vent stacks from any ice or debris however a lot of these stacks are located on the roof and can be difficult to access. If you ever smell gas the safest bet is to call the fire department immediately.