Alameda is a small community in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan with much to offer. Alameda is a mixed farming area with lots of oil development, located 55 kilometres (kms) east of Estevan, 3 kms north of Highway 18 on Highway 9, and 40 kms from the Port of Northgate.


Alameda by definition means “Avenue of Trees” and there really is no other name to describe the community. Alameda is a very family and community minded town with a population of around 310. The residents take pride in the beautiful tree line, paved streets. Alameda is home to a K-9 school, curling rink, and skating rink, golf course, service station, grocery store, hardware store, and various oil field services.



In 1882, Alameda consisted of a post office and a store owned by the Walsh brothers, and later a blacksmith shop owned by Mr. Bishop. The store sold such items as tea, sugar, and salt. Mail was hauled, once a week, by Frank Stephensen from Moosomin. There was a cemetery in this location that was moved up to the present location. On a request from Ottawa to establish a post office in this settlement, Chris Troyer, in his application for a post office, suggested the name Alameda. This name was common in California where Troyer had lived at some point in time. The Walsh brothers, who kept the store on their father’s homestead, also sent a request for a post office and suggested the name Kamsack. The post office was given to the Walsh brothers but the government adopted the name suggested by Chris Troyer.


Alameda was moved to its present site when the Town discovered that the railway was not going by the first location. The present location was subdivided for settlement September 16, 1892 by J.L. Doupe. It consisted of block 1 to block 4 along Railway Avenue. The land was owned by the Manitoba South Western Colonization Railway Company.


Alameda, from 1892 to 1898, was run under the Local Improvement District (L.I.D.). On October 27, 1898 the Deputy Commissioner sent a letter to the MLA for Alameda, requesting that the residents of Alameda submit their views regarding the formation of a Village. On December 19, 1898, Alameda was officially declared a Village.


In 1906, the Village of Alameda voted on the question of having the Village incorporated as a Town, and on March 23, 1907, the Village of Alameda was officially raised to the status of Town of Alameda.



  • Alameda Dam: located 3 km east and 3 km north of Alameda, along the Moose Mountain Creek. The Reservoir is great for water sports and fishing for Northern Pike, Pickerel, and Perch.
  • Moose Creek Regional Park: located at the Alameda Dam site, offers boating, fishing, swimming, a campground facility and golf course.
  • Campground & Park: Includes 6 full service sites and provides full washroom facilities. There is also a sewer dump for those who might need to use it.
  • Golfing: 9 hole golf course located at the Moose Creek Regional Park.
  • Alameda and District Heritage Museum
  • Alameda Agricultural Society Fair & 4H Show
  • Alameda Flower Show